May. 18, 2010 -- This wood-brick structure was first built in 1864 and expanded in 1882. Its original name was South-Pass Mosque. The building is located at the north end of the Southern Jiefang St., Urumqi. Because of its deteriorated condition, the mosque was relocated to the South Gate of the city and rebuilt beginning in 1984. Completed in 1988, the rebuilt mosque was renamed after the well-known Hantengri Peak of the Tianshan Mountains.
The new building serves as a shopping center as well as a center of worship, with the two sections separated by two spiral staircases. The spiritual and material worlds coexisting under one roof form an interesting scene.