Population: about 1.88 million
|A bird's eye view of Urumqi|
Area: 10,989 square km (about 4,243 square miles)
Zip code: 830000
Area Code 0991
Toilet facilities: using toilets in the downtown area of Urumqi costs about 0.2 Yuan.
Yangzijiang Lu Branch (city center): 4, Yangzijiang Lu
Jie Fang Bei Lu Branch (city center): 61, Jiefang Bei Lu
Beijing Lu Branch (south suburb): 5, Henan Xi Lu
Urumqi Branch of Bank of China offers currency exchange service. Address: 343, Jiefang Nan Lu.
|China Agricultural Bank|
Urumqi No. 1 People's Hospital
Address: 91, Jiankang Lu
Urumqi Shi You Yi Hospital
Address: 22, Shengli Lu
First Aid Center of Urumqi: 2833000
Zip code inquiring: 184
Phone number inquiring: 114
Tourist complaint: 2831902
Xinjiang University: 14, Shengli Lu
1. Do not shake water off your wet hands in public.
2. Do not irritate Muslims by eating pork and by speaking about pigs in their presence.
3. Respect the customs and habits of ethnic minorities.
4. Protect yourselves against the elements in all seasons. Be careful about your drinking water. Boil it first.
|Xinjiang Agricultural University|
5. You will come upon spectacular scenery, so do bring your photographic equipment along.
6. Avoid drinking hot tea after eating fruits to avoid diarrhea.
7. Though the 'clock time' in Xinjiang is just the same as the rest of China, in fact there is a two hour difference in longitude between Urumqi and Beijing. For this reason the daily working hours are: 10:00 - 14:00, 15:30 - 19:30
While in Urumqi, you should modify you rest and dining times to be two hours later than if you were in a city in Middle China, otherwise you might feel out of step with local life. But don't forget that bus, train and flights all adopt Beijing Time. If you booked a flight to arrive or depart Urumqi at around 08:00, then you may find it is quite dark at that time. Please keep this in mind when making reservations.